Monday, September 24, 2007

Web 2.0 workshop

Vicki Davis is the sort of person I would love to have teaching my children. Her attitude towards her vocation (no other word will do) is delightfully refreshing. For Vicki, teaching is not a process of working through a state set curriculum using tried and tested methods. Rather, it is the means by which to prepare her charges for the future. She has more energy and drive than a dynamo and has extended her classroom well beyond the campus.

On behalf of Atomic Learning, she has recorded an online workshop on Web 2.0 aimed specifically at teachers. While it is evident listening to the workshop that Vicki is not a professional voice over artist, she presents an easily digestible workshop in a series of bite-sized chunks. I would like to see something like this being made mandatory viewing for practising teachers. It should certainly form an integral part of ITT programmes.

2 comments:

Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the workshops and no, I have no training in voice overs! Glad you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

I'm in similar situation at the moment.

I used to do some voice over work years ago in South Africa, and I'm currently doing some again for a project I'm working on.

Up to now, we've avoided it because of the unsuitability of my flat South African vowels for an English audience... coupled with the fact that I have a permanently bunged up nose since moving to the UK.

The problem is, though, that when you get someone who is an expert in voice overs, they are often not an expert in the subject matter, so the message doesn't come across quite right. This was often the case when I did voice overs in the past - I usually only had the vaguest idea what I was talking about!

So, this time around, we decided to go with a voice that was less than ideal rather than a wonderful voice that made a nonsense of the message.