Thursday, March 13, 2008

Discovering where one's priorities lie

Wendy Wickham's latest post about her Facebook experience gave me pause.

Facebook is one of the many things that is blocked within my organisation, so I can't catch up at work. Okay, I can deal with that. I might not fully agree with it, but I can deal with it.

There is a 5 working day delay before we can apply for internet access from our new house (that's tomorrow... woohoo!) I find myself wondering about the notion of a "working day" in this day and age, but I digress.

So, while I can catch up with my emails from the office, I have been bereft of Facebook.

Well, almost.

There is the possibility of using my husband's mobile phone as a modem and connecting that way (of course, I could just use the phone itself, but I can't be bothered with the tiny little screen when I have alternatives). This approach comes with a price tag, so I have to be selective about what I choose to do online, and this is where it gets telling.

I don't bother with any of the things I can access from the office, which means I home in on Facebook like a smart bomb.

I have not read any of the messages from my professional SIGs. Nor have I kept up with the activities of those groups. I have not kept up with the activities any of my special interest groups, to be honest. I have not checked to see whose status has changed, or who has updated their pages. I have not looked to see who has posted new photos. I have not responded to any of the invitations to load this, that or the other new application. I have ignored the new additions to my Funwall.

I have responded to friendship requests. I have read the personal messages in my Inbox (but not answered them). I have read and responded to only one message on my wall.

BUT

I have kept a beady eye on my Scrabulous games.

Well, you've got to attend to the important things!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I assume you're doing well at Scrabulous...

I'm running behind on a report, have 100s of unread items yet still, I am here reading about priorities. Ironic.

Anonymous said...

@Janet Well, I've got two games going and I'm ahead on one and behind on the other. Glad to discover that I seem to be one of your priorities ;o)