Monday, December 01, 2008

Human talent is often buried deep

This is a direct quote from this keynote speech by Sir Ken Robinson to the recent iNet Conference.

He draws the comparison with valued natural resources buried deep in the ground, requiring skill and effort in their extraction.

He relates the story that Paul McCartney and George Harrison were in the same music class in high school and were both regarded as being without musical talent - and they hated music lessons. As he puts it - there was this music teacher with half The Beatles in his class... and he missed it!

After what I have recently been through with my son, I felt enormously encouraged. I don't always agree with everything he has to say, but I find myself torn between relief that someone has such clarity of vision... and gets to express it in spaces with wide exposure, and frustration that nothing seems to be changing.

No comments: