Tuesday, July 28, 2009

That first pay cheque

Do you remember your first pay cheque? What extravagance did you indulge in?

My elder son has a summer job working in an office. Today he received his first pay... well, it wasn't really a cheque, it was paid in by BACS transfer, but you know what I mean. He's had part time jobs before, but this is a full time, if temporary job. Rather well paid, too, for a lad of seventeen.

So how do you suppose he spoiled himself?

A box of 10 chocolate eclairs from the bakery, for the princely sum of £2.

He has always been careful with money. When he was little, he would ask for something such as, say, the Beano comic, to which my husband would respond, "Sure. You can buy it with your pocket money. That's what it's for." My son almost always chose to do without.

He does plan to take his girlfriend out for a nice dinner, but other than that, the money is earmarked for a car when he goes to university.

Shades of his paternal grandmother who grew up in the great depression and tends to turn a penny over five times before deciding to put it back into her pocket. It obviously skipped a generation, though - my husband doesn't have that kind of fiscal discipline!

4 comments:

Stephen Downes said...

Pizza. I spent the whole $14 I earned as a vendor at Lansdowne Park on a pizza.

The upsycho said...

@Downes All that hard work for a single pizza? Wow! A hope it was delicious.

I spent part of my first pay cheque on having my ears pierced. My Mom had told me she wasn't prepared to let me have it done under the age of 16, and I would have to pay for it myself.

Since my summer job was at a department store which boasted a jewellery department and an ear-piercing service, this worked out perfectly... except that I passed clean out on the floor of the store once the deed was done!

Stephen Downes said...

It was the best pizza ever, because it was mine!

The upsycho said...

@downes Can't argue with that! I felt much the same about my first car. I don't think the variance in cost makes any difference to that proud sense of ownership