Friday, August 24, 2007

Virtually funny

A couple of days ago, I was having a conversation with my line manager about the pedagogical potential of virtual worlds. He's something of a skeptic, which makes for interesting conversations. During the conversation he raised the issue of the potential for money laundering through the buying and selling of virtual assets.

Later that same day, we were in a meeting with a potential supplier/partner who raised the issue of potential use of virtual spaces in learning solutions.

My manager and I exchanged wry looks.

The very next day, I received an invitation to attend a virtual worlds conference later this year. Since the conference is scheduled for a time when such events are fairly thick on the ground and my schedule is likely to be pretty tight, I didn't expect him to agree to my attending, but - because of the timing of the invitation - I couldn't resist forwarding it to him.

His response raised a chuckle: he told me I was welcome to send my avatar and to pay the conference fee with "laundered" money.

Jokes aside, though - it would be good if I could send Eterna (my 2L alter ego)...

No comments: