Ooh, you blighter, Janet!-) Janet Clarey has tagged me with another meme. This one is called "8 random facts about me". The rules are:
1) Post these rules before you give your facts
2) List 8 random facts about yourself
3) At the end of your post, choose (tag) 8 people and list their names, linking to them
4) Leave a comment on their blog, letting them know they’ve been tagged
So, here goes (and forgive me if I've covered these in previous memes):
- I am a 5th generation South African with a half-and-half mixture of British and Dutch heritage
- I am married to a CIO, who is Swedish and (still) plays ice hockey every Sunday night
- I used to present an Afrikaans music magazine programme on South African television - very badly!
- I used to sing semi-professionally and am currently a worship leader in our church. If I'm breathing, I'm singing
- As well as English, I speak fluent Afrikaans, halting Swedish and a smattering of Xhosa and Zulu. I also know a whole bunch of random words in an assortment of languages - it's a kind of hobby. I used to be able to say "I don't know how to speak
" in about 12 languages - sometimes fluently enough so that people didn't believe me.
- I have inordinately thick hair - enough for two people, I swear! Hairdressers wax enthusiastic, telling me all the styles I could try, but I am totally stupid with hair and can never do anything remotely attractive with it. Mind you, I think the hairdressers are full of it, because whatever fancy style I have when I leave the salon is long gone an hour later, and my hair is doing its own thing again!
- The first time I ever travelled abroad from South Africa was when I emigrated to the UK 8 years ago
- Like many South African women, I totally "get" rugby and am a dyed-in-the-wool fan. I know a knock on or a forward pass when I see one, and I know when a player's off-side.