Thursday, April 23, 2009

pic of the day - a treasure


Yes, the recipe book is wonderful. It is the work of a woman with a Finnish mother, Greek father and Italian husband who has lived in many countries (yes, including South Africa). I highly recommend it (and the others in the series) and I am delighted to be its new owner. I received it today from a friend.

It's the friend who is the treasure.

On 17 June this year, I will have been in the UK for 10 years. It has taken a long time. It has been a hard road. But I am finally beginning to feel at home.

Part of the reason for this may well be my utter loss of hope for the future of South Africa.

Another significant part is that, for the first time in 10 years, I don't feel like a foreigner in our church. A good third (I'm guessing) of the congregation speaks English with an accent that is not native to these isles. Many of them speak it as a second (third? fourth?) language. With that many 'foreigners' around, there's no room for barriers.

But a very important part is having a good girlfriend to do girlie things with. Especially if that friend takes it into her head to surprise you with gifts like this! ;o)

No comments: