Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Book meme

I haven't traced it all the way back to the start, but Barbara Ganley and Chris Sessums are involved in a book meme, which is quite revealing. It puts me in mind of Kathy Sierra's excellent and thought provoking post some time back (12 Feb, to be exact) about what was on her virtual coffee table. Kathy writes as I imagine she speaks, so I had felt as if I knew her pretty well for some time, but that list of books was the clincher. When you know what a person reads (and why), you know an awful lot about a person. While Kathy came up with a list of her favourite books in no particular order, the meme that Barbara and Chris are contributing to is structured, and I can't decide whether that makes it easier or tougher.

Their challenge looks like this:

  1. A book that changed your life
  2. A book you've read more than once
  3. A book you'd take to a desert island
  4. A book that made you laugh
  5. A book that made you cry
  6. A book you wish had been written
  7. A book you wish had never been written
  8. A book you're currently reading
  9. A book you've been meaning to read
  10. Tag five people you want to hear from
It's a thought provoking list, rather like one of those ice-breakers where you are asked to list five people (living or dead) you would like to have around your table at a dinner party. I'll be interested to follow this and see where it goes and what it reveals about the people I read. Ooh - that sounds a bit voyeuristic, doesn't it? I feel a bit like a snoop, now!-)

No comments: