Friday, August 04, 2006

Go Kathy!

Kathy Sierra has posted her protest against the gender label being attached to female bloggers. I am delighted that someone of her standing has taken this stand. I touched on this point myself a while back and brought down upon myself the well articulated ire of Josie Fraser (here and here). But I'm still with Kathy: the blogosphere is one place where I don't need any "special favours" as a woman, as she says:

The tagline I've used on and off over the past 15 years to indicate how lucky I feel about being in a profession (and in a country) where gender is not nearly as important today as it once was (and yes, I'm extremely grateful for all those who fought to make this happen):
The post has attracted a flurry of comments which make interesting reading.

No comments: