Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving thanks...

Since I have a lot of virtual contact with US citizens these days, the subject of Thanksgiving has loomed larger on my radar than has been the case in the past. So I decided to find out what it was about. I won't go into the back story, because you can get a better picture from wikipedia.

I have found that, whether or not you are an adherent of any faith, it provides a good sense of perspective if you occasionally count your blessings... and today seems as good a day as any.

So I challenge you to name one thing you're thankful for today - even if you're not a US citizen, even if you're a cynic. Put it on your blog, add it to your status on your facebook/myspace page, twitter it, tell someone at work, school or home, send someone a text message or an email. I'm leading a discussion group tonight, and will start by asking each person there to do the same. Whyever not?

As for me, I'm thankful for you.

Even if you've never heard of Karyn Romeis before. Even if this is the first time you've ever read anything of mine and you're so underwhelmed by it you're not going to bother coming back. You're here now, and I'm thankful for that. If you're a regular reader, I'm thankful for you, too. If you're a commenter, I'm especially thankful for you - for the contribution you make to my erratic learning journey.

Thanks.

3 comments:

Inge (Ignatia) de Waard said...

Every night I am thankful for my blessings: warmth, love, wealth (having enough to be able to live), a willing to learn mind, spirit, health. Just a couple of years ago all of this seemed impossible to achieve and have.

In Belgium there is an old poem on this by an Antverpian poet Alice Nahon Avondliedeken (sorry for the old dutch:
't Is goed in 't eigen hert te kijken
Nog even vóór het slapen gaan,
Of ik van dageraad tot avond
Geen enkel hert heb zeer gedaan...)
Which basically says: it is good to ponder on the day just before sleeping to make sure you did well and were as human as you could be.

Anonymous said...

Ignatia: similar to "don't let the sun go down on your anger"

My children roll their eyes at me, but I will not let them leave the house angry with me or with each other.

Anonymous said...

Hi Karyn:

Isn't it amazing how the internet makes us globally aware ...

A nice post.