Monday, June 15, 2009

pic of the day - finding the beauty


The town I live in is suffering at the moment. It isn't a pretty town. Not really. It isn't a happy town. It's a hurting town, defaced with graffiti and litter and broken glass. The average level of education is pretty low. The average earnings, likewise. Unemployment has skyrocketed - and it wasn't great to begin with. A store opening where the institution that was Woolworths used to be has 25 posts. There were 1200 applicants. A position in the local hospital received 4000 applicants. The town is hurting. The evidence of this is everywhere. But from the window of my loft conversion, looking out across the valley, the town looks idyllic. Quintessentially English.

My camera isn't good enough to have captured the light. I wish there was a way to describe it. My Mom it calls it 'Karyn's light', because I have loved this particular light since I was a child and never fail to notice when conditions work together to produce it.

I think it happens when the infra red light is absent or diminished, because the colours really stand out. The green of the grass seems greener, the colours of the flowers really pop out. I think this is effect of increased ultra violet. It happens at dusk and when black clouds form overhead on what has been a sunny day... right before the rain starts. I could be wrong. It doesn't matter. I know it when I see it. It's unmistakable.

1 comment:

Jason Allen said...

Karyn,
Great post, I laughed when I read the last paragraph...that's my wife (Noelle)'s favorite light too...the two places we have been where it was the most amazing was in Southern Alberta in the foothills of the Rockies, and in Reno, Nevada in the U.S. - both are at about 2000-2500 feet above sea level, and there is something about the clarity of the air up there that amplifies the effect.
Stunning.
Thanks for reminding us!
J