Thursday, May 28, 2009

For richer or for poorer

Today John and I have been married for 21 years. In just four years' time, we will be celebrating our silver wedding anniversary. It will be a miracle if we have any silver left, by then!

Since I haven't had a paying contract in some months, our 'for richer or for poorer' vow is being proven at the moment. John commutes 2 hours each way every day and works his tail off to bring home a decent salary. But that salary isn't enough to cover our overheads. Unless things turn around for me very soon, we will find ourselves experiencing significant changes of circumstance imposed by our bank and the bailiffs.

But, while I feel as if I am dragging the family down, somehow John manages to remain supportive of me.

John wasn't my first suitor (what a quaint word). Before he came along, there had been a few near misses. Some of them rather wealthy and a few of them extraordinarily handsome. But, hoo boy, am I glad I had the wherewithal to know enduring quality when I finally found it. I doubt that any of the other guys would have put up with 21 years of the rollercoaster ride that is marriage to me!

Here's to you, my snooks, and to many more years.

4 comments:

The housewife said...

Happy anniversary! Well done to both of you.

Harold Jarche said...

Congratulations to you two! We just celebrated our 19th and as we're single (part-time) income, we combined mother's day & anniversary to save cash. Obviously, Andrea did not marry me for money either ;-)

The upsycho said...

Thanks to both of you. And yes, Harold, in spite of the early views of my mother-in-law and one of my sisters-in-law, I didn't look for a meal ticket when I married John. If I had wanted to marry for money, I could have had a millionaire... a handsome, self-absorbed, inconsiderate, womanising millionaire with the general knowledge of a gnat. No thanks. I'll stick with what I have, any day!

Rina Tripathi said...

Congratulations! Inspiring thoughts here.