Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Disaster recovery plans

I recently got an email from someone who expressed disappointment at my husband's flash-in-the-pan blogging. I communicated this to him, and it must have encouraged him because yesterday he produced no fewer than three new posts. Two of them deal with the issue of disaster recovery. You might not quite get his quirky humour, but I reckon that he offers a few useful take-aways.

This is not only an issue that affects large corporates - we solo acts are possibly even more dependent on our data, our apps and our operating systems, and need to know that we can retrieve them if a crisis strikes.

On an obliquely related note, I found it interesting that I had to teach him how to create href codes in html. I often think of myself as a bit of a technical numpty, but I guess if I have something to offer an IT professional, I'm not doing too badly!

On another obliquely related note, his nom de plume is not pronounced 'john is cream', but 'john i scream'. The reason for this is that our surname (row-MACE) sounds very much like the Afrikaans word for ice cream (roomys: ROO-uh-mace) and, among our friends in Cape Town, we were known as 'the ice creams'. It was useful to have such a memorable name when I was freelancing!

No comments: