Friday, February 13, 2009

LPOD - a few extra Earths!

I've been working on some material for World Wildlife Fund, and I've been learning a lot about this planet of ours.

Today's learning point is something I discovered a few weeks ago, but which made a fresh impression on me as I reviewed the resource today. It's something I feel is important enough to share here, even though I didn't strictly learn it for the first time today.

I suspect we all know that we are using more natural resources than the Earth can replenish and releasing far more CO2 than can be reabsorbed by ecosystems.

BUT...

Did you know that if everyone on the planet lived like the average European, we would need three planet Earths to live on?

AND

If everyone lived like the average American, we would need five planet Earths to live on!

Scary thought, huh? I'm not aware of any spares lying around.

No comments: