Tuesday, January 13, 2009

pic of the day - down memory lane

Tonight I took my son to the first athletics (Americans: read 'track') training session of the year. Sad old bat that I am, I had looked forward all day to taking this shot. This is the final straight, or the view from the start of the 100m, if you prefer. Most importantly, it is the view of my favourite two lanes. If you got to run in the centre two lanes, you knew you were considered a force to be reckoned with. I hated the very inside and very outside lanes with equal passion, but for different reasons I won't bore you with.

Although it is 30 years this year since I stood in this position in anger, I was amazed at how my heart rate accelerate and how much I just wanted to RUN!

2 comments:

Harold Jarche said...

I too have many memories of racing on the track, though steeplechase was my event. Great for spectators at the water barrier ;-)

The upsycho said...

Somehow I'm not surprised that you did steeplechase, Harold! I've always been much more of a sprinter - give it all you've got for about a minute, then collapse, completely spent. Nothing analytical, no careful planning, no 'running your own race' - just full throttle so that the tank runs dry in the time it takes to run once around the track!

That said, I love to watch the Kenyans in the steeplechase! All long lean legs and short torsos, with the easiest stride in the world. Like gazelles. Magnificent.