Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Don't send a computer to do a person's job

Computers aren't terribly imaginative machines. They're tools, like any other, and they do what you tell them. Even when that isn't what you meant to tell them.

Today I got an email from one of my communities, advising me that another member had posted a project that matched my skills. It seems I am a perfect match for the role of Japanese-speaking recruitment consultant.

Let's just break that down for a moment:
Japanese-speaking - er, no
Recruitment consultant - er, no.

Let's break it down even further then:
Japanese - no
Speaking - yes (I have public speaking coaching experience)
Recruitment - no
Consultant - yes.

Well, we're half way there, then. The rest I'm sure I can pick up as I go along. Where do I sign?

Honestly!

No comments: