Tuesday, March 10, 2009

pic of the day - 900 years


I took this photo this evening on the way to the athletics track with my elder son. I have two reactions to this image.

First, I am in awe of a place with a recorded history that goes back 900 years. Coming from a so-called 'young' country like South Africa, it seems incredible that there are buildings that go back that far (mind you, if you come from an even older country like Greece or Egypt, where there are structures that go back thousands of years, this must seem pretty paltry).

My second reaction is more cynical. 'Living' history? What other kind is there? Responses on a postcard...

2 comments:

Stephen Downes said...

Hmph. They're just going to have to replace the sign in a century. Some things weren't built to last.

The upsycho said...

@downes :o)